x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Oct 17 16:29:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:38:34AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:

> Ideally you'd split off the docs, etc into -common.noarch packages
> (lot of work)

Tons!  You are talking about a non-cursory rewrite of a huge number
of spec files, coming from different places you do not always
control, and keeping these specs _correct_, i.e. no forgetfulness,
mistakes, ignorance, etc, for all future revisions.

> Obviously, there's a space cost.

That one is trivial in most cases, although when trying fit a distro
on a set of CDs it may be not so,  but I think that you grossly
underestimate other costs which will be real.

> But it solves the removal issues,

Indeed, for a significant price.  OTOH it looks to me that this
should be solvable inside of rpmlib, if not already solved, but
this is not a conversation on this list, I think.  Computers are
much better in keeping track of long lists of small details that
you ever have a hope to be.  Look how often in %changelogs you
will see 'added missing "Requires"', or "BuildRequires", and many
such changes are not even recorded.

The problem which started all this thread, i.e. "asynchronous
updates" causing conflict complaints, in no way will be helped
by a split you envision.

   Michal