Anaconda question

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Oct 2 15:08:55 UTC 2005

James C. Bevier wrote:

>I have tried to update a FC2 system with FC4 and FC3.  Each release just
>asks me what type of installation I want.  I want to upgrrade, but that does
>not seem to be an option.  What does anaconda look for to determine if the
>current system can be upgraded or not?  Fedora-release and redhat-release
>are in /etc and contains the information for Fedora Core 2.  What do I need
>to do to get anaconda to let me do an upgrade?
>
>Jim

    Jim:

    As best as I can recall, the option to upgrade appears after you
select to install, (by pressing enter at the linux: prompt) and after
the media check sections.   Somewhere down the road, you are told that
some versions of linux are detected and you are at that time asked if
you want to upgrade or wipe out existing installs.  Basically, AFAICT
the only difference between the options is that upgrading does not
reformat partitions so that existing files are overwritten.

    A word of caution though. when you upgrade to FC4 some programs are
not upgraded as they have been moved to extras, so be sure to do a yum
update as soon as you can

Scott