Anaconda question

James C. Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Mon Oct 3 18:50:48 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Cameron" <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: Anaconda question

> On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 17:46 -0700, James C. Bevier wrote:
>> I have tried to update a FC2 system with FC4 and FC3.  Each release just
>> asks me what type of installation I want.  I want to upgrrade, but that
>> does
>> not seem to be an option.  What does anaconda look for to determine if
>> the
>> current system can be upgraded or not?  Fedora-release and redhat-release
>> are in /etc and contains the information for Fedora Core 2.  What do I
>> need
>> to do to get anaconda to let me do an upgrade?
>
> What happens if you boot the installer with:
>
> linux askmethod
>
> Thomas

Trying "linux upgradeany" or "linux askmethod" gets me to the same install
page with no option to upgrade.  The disk I am using is a copy of a 120 GB
disk.  I mode the copy by creating identical partitions as the original and
then using "find . -name -mount -print | cpio -pdvm /new" from the /old
mounted partition.  I ran on the new copy about three months and had no
problems.  I tried to upgrade the 'old' disk and anaconda gave me the proper
upgrade option???  It was able to find the install.  I did an 'fdisk -l' on
both disks and the partitioning is identical except for the size of the last
partition.  The disks were from different manufactures, so there is a little
different in size.  I coppied the 'new' disk back over the 'old' disk and
was able to do an update without problems.  So, what does anaconda not like
about the new disk?  I still have it, so I can try all kinds of stuff if
someone is interested in fixing anaconda so it sees the Fedora installed on
it.

Jim