x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Jonathan Corbet lwn-fedora-test at lwn.net
Tue Oct 11 14:23:41 UTC 2005

Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 08:52, seth vidal wrote:
> > Maybe I should add a routine where:
> >  if we're on a biarch machine and we're updating a package for one arch,
> > check for the biarch package and see if it can be updated too.
>
> I think that would be helpful. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to keep .i386
> & .x86_64 packages out of sync.

Agreed, I think that would go a long way toward solving the problem.

> Also, over time packages should become 64 bit clean and a .i386 version may no
> longer be required. Is there any way to spot .i386 packages that are no
> longer needed and can be removed?

That would be nice too.  As far as I can tell, though, the real problem
is OpenOffice, which (1) is famously not 64-bit clean, and (2) drags
most of the world along with it - it's not big enough on its own, after
all.  I'm really hoping life gets simpler once OOo gets straightened
out.

jon