x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Sylvain Rouillard RouillardSy at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 11 15:35:13 UTC 2005

Le Mardi 11 Octobre 2005 16:13, Steve Grubb a écrit :
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 09:48, Justin Conover wrote:
> > You could tail the end of /root/install.log to see what are i386/x86_64
> > packages.
>
> That file is long gone.
>
> But look at this:
>
> [root at spirit ~]# rpm -q --whatrequires kdebase | grep i386
> kdemultimedia-3.4.91-1.i386
> [root at spirit ~]# rpm -q --whatrequires kdemultimedia | grep i386
> [root at spirit ~]# rpm -q kdemultimedia
> kdemultimedia-3.4.91-1.x86_64
> kdemultimedia-3.4.91-1.i386
>
> So, why is kdemultimedia i386 installed? It appears to cause kdebase i386
> to be installed, which in turn requires kdelibs i386, which in turn
> requires arts i386. I'm sure there's more but I can't backtrack from that
> point.
>
> This wastes a lot of disk space and a lot of somebody's bandwidth for
> everyone downloading it. We really need a good way to find this cruft and
> remove it.
>
> -Steve

This has been a long lasting problem. I remember noticing it with FC2 and
FC3Tx, then someone pointed that it was fixed in FC4 a while back in this
list. I made a fresh install of FC4 a few days ago, and I can assure you the
problem is still there. A hell lot of totally useless i386 packages are
installed. After I installed FC4, I had to remove 150ish of them. No OOo
stuff were depending on those 150. Not one.

These useless packages bring there share of problems. As it has been pointed
out here, they represent a waste of disk space and of bandwidth when it's
time to update them. Also, they can interfere when you manually compile an
application in an environment that wouldn't be properly set. And finally,
they are a source of problem with yum.

Sure yum could handle this situation more smartly, and would have to for the
few packages needed for OOo, but IMHO the root of the problem here is at the
installation stage.

just my 0.02