Please use updates-testing

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 19:00:04 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I know a lot of you testers are using rawhide and helping test the latest
& greatest devel tree. This is really appreciated because it helps the
Fedora developers find problems they wouldn't be able to any other way,
and that results in better software in the end!

However, we're having another problem that is really bugging a lot of
users - the updates for existing releases are not getting enough testing.
For example, the last kernel update for FC4 panicked on boot on some
fairly normal systems.

So, I'd like to ask that some of you to stick with FC3 and especially FC4,
and to change your yum configurations to pull from updates-testing. Here's
a dumb little line of shell script to do it for you on FC4:
	perl -pi -e 's,enabled=0,enabled=1,g' /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo

>From that point on, it's just a matter of doing regular yum updates and
reporting bugs. Doing this will help ensure that the updates are just as
good as the initial releases!

On a related note, if anyone has the drive it takes to lead a Fedora QA
project to coordinate all the testing efforts, that would be a great way
to help Fedora overall. It'd be lots of work, and also lots of fun!

Best,
-- Elliot