Ejecting a drive from a laptop bay...

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 07:32:58 UTC 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 15:44, Bikehead wrote:
> I have an IBM T42p.  I am running the latest rawhide system and I wanted
> to try ejecting the drive from the bay.  I found some mentiond of
> /proc/acpi/ibm/bay which reports the bay status and accepts the command
> "eject".  However, when I send 'echo "eject" > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay' the
> system freezes.  I googled around and I can't find any documentation on
> how one might eject a drive bay that isn't for pre-2.6 kernels.  Can
> someone give me some pointers on what I might be doing wrong if anything?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> .   __o    Brian "la lumaca"
>   _`\<,_
>  (*)/ (*)

Please clarify this point.  Are you trying to eject the "drive" or a "cd/dvd"
in the drive?

"/proc/acpi/ibm/bay" is not really a device in the normal sense.  Look
in /etc/fstab for the device name (assuming a cd/dvd).  It should look
something like /dev/hdc with a mount point of /media/cdrecorder or similar.

If it is the actual physical drive you want to eject, that is not possible
with software.  You need to look at the computers users guide for how to
replace a drive.

HTH,
Tom

--