Gnome 2.12.1 and terminal

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 16 02:34:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 19:16 -0700, Teak Billard wrote:
> What was the purpose?  Is it that gnome would like
> people to move away from using terminal commands and
> stick with the GUI?  Having a powerful terminal so
> easily accessible is what makes Linux attractive to
> me.

I suspect it has more to do with consistent UI design.
The terminal is an application, Applications are launched from the
Application menu.

>From a strictly UI perspective, it's probably proper to do what they are
doing. It's just legacy users who are already so use to it being
available the old way, and installing that nautilus-openterminal package
gives it back to us (though I have a surprising number of untitled
folders on my desktop ... ;)

I don't know the real reason, but I suspect it was UI design reasons.