kernels installed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 21:40:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 16:18 -0400, Gene C. wrote:
> I notice that a development install only installs the smp kernel on a system
> with multiple processors.  Is this working as intended?

Yes.  Having multiple kernels just ends up taking up more space and
causing fairly significant user confusion

> While this may be working as intended, I have had problems with smp kernels on
> FC4 (Dell Workstation 350).  This was corrected in a kernel update (but not
> the kernel on the FC4 install disks).  When the smp kernel was booted,
> neither the keyboard or the mouse worked!  With an updated kernel and the
> kernel parameter usb-handoff, it worked.
>
> If FC5 will not have both smp and up kernels installed by default, I suggest
> an installation package option to have both installed.

People have also had problems with the UP kernel where the SMP kernel
worked.  So should we install the smp kernel there too?  Installing both
kernels is really just a workaround for a case which shouldn't happen,
ie, the kernel being broken.  So there's not going to be an argument.
Besides, how would you know beforehand that you needed to use it?

Jeremy