kernels installed

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sat Oct 29 16:37:38 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 October 2005 17:40, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > While this may be working as intended, I have had problems with smp
> > kernels on FC4 (Dell Workstation 350).  This was corrected in a kernel
> > update (but not the kernel on the FC4 install disks).  When the smp
> > kernel was booted, neither the keyboard or the mouse worked!  With an
> > updated kernel and the kernel parameter usb-handoff, it worked.
> >
> > If FC5 will not have both smp and up kernels installed by default, I
> > suggest an installation package option to have both installed.
>
> People have also had problems with the UP kernel where the SMP kernel
> worked.  So should we install the smp kernel there too?  Installing both
> kernels is really just a workaround for a case which shouldn't happen,
> ie, the kernel being broken.  So there's not going to be an argument.
> Besides, how would you know beforehand that you needed to use it?

To be true, I have only had the one occation with the (dual processor) Dell
Workstation 350 where the smp kernel did not work and the UP kernel did.  I
suppose that, if needed (like my case of booting but having no working
keyboard or mouse), I could boot up the rescue-cd and install "the other"
kernel.
--
Gene