/dev/usb/lp0 fails to open

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Sun Apr 2 12:52:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:37:38PM +0100, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what package this needs filing under for BZ, but when I run
> the cups web front end, it is reporting that usb:/dev/usb/lp0 is failing
> to open. s-c-p is showing my Deskjet 980cxi happily when setting it up,
> but am unable to print.
>
> When I've looked in /dev, there is no usb directory (and therefore no
> lp0 either).
>
> Is this a makedev problem, s-c-p or something else?

What does '/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp' say when you run it?

I have a feeling that using libusb to communicate with the device
(which the hp backend does) somehow causes the usblp driver to
unload.

The switch to using libusb happened in HPLIP 0.9.9 -- if you're still
on 0.9.8 that can't be it.

So actually, that's a useful experiment to try: downgrade the 'hplip',
'hpijs' and 'libsane-hpaio' packages to the 0.9.8 packages that came
with FC-5.  Reboot, and see what happens.

Tim.
*/