disk mounter 2.14.0 problem

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 21:24:57 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, LarryT <guess.who at freesurf.fr> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 4/1/06, LarryT <guess.who at freesurf.fr> wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >> I have a problem with disk mounter 2.14.0 (on fc5)
> >> It is impossible to mount the floppy drive. and impossible too to find
> >> the umount choice in the menu when i click on the applet on the toolbar.
> >
> > Is this gnome or kde?
> >
> > -jef
> >
> gnome, i use gnome desktop.

I am specifically following up on the floppy drive comment... not the cd.
Is the floppy kernel module loaded?

My floppy works for me as I would expect via the gnome gui and using
gnome-mount on the commandline.  If the floppy drive isnt showing up
in the gnome gui the most likely reason it wouldn't be showing up is
if the floppy module isn't loaded and hal didn't "see" the floppy. If
memory serves, floppies can't be probed for like other devices can and
the only way to know if you have a floppy is to load the the floppy
kernel module.

Things to check from the cmdline for correct floppy support in the
kernel and in hal
/sbin/lsmod |grep floppy    should return with output

lshal |grep fd0  should return with something like
  block.device = '/dev/fd0'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path_device = '/sys/block/fd0'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/block/fd0'  (string)

-jef