[FC5] ClamAV - Anyone using this?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 5 20:51:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-31-03 at 07:57 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Is anyone using ClamAV for FC5?  Is there any need to use
> this on FC5?  Just wondered if it is worth installing this
> application to ward of Viruses, Spy-ware, Mal-ware stuff...

...snip...
Good question.

A couple days ago, I discovered I had a couple files with
viruses after I mapped some samba shares on a windows
machine. I notice some "strange" disk and network activity
and when I ran top, smbd was fairly active. I toggled
my KVM over to the windows machine and MacAfee was scanning
the mapped drives. I did not think it would scan mapped
drives, but was interested to see what it would find. The
next morning it had finished scanning the 800GB of shares
and found two files, one jpeg and one zip file. They were
both from some stuff I had downloaded a years ago for my
Windows box, and was archiving it on the Linux box.

I suppose that is not too bad having two files out of
800GB with some dating back to the mid 80's. :^0
You could probably guess that I am a pack rat. :^P

Back On Track - It would appear that if you share files
with any windows machines, which is likely, it would be
prudent to have antivirus software that runs natively
on the Linux machine to ensure that infected files are
not propagated to machines they can infect.