yum differential updates

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Apr 10 15:16:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 23:24 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> I haven't tried this but I thought I might: from my reading of the rsync
> protocol, it can efficiently sync two identically named files, even when
> the data moves around within the file. This is done by taking a rolling
> hash and comparing at each end.
>
> An rpm update for say FC5, would be very likely to have very small
> changes - ie bug fixes, but since compiles would otherwise be the same I
> imagine it would be a good candidate for efficient rsyncing.
>
> I was thinking that the changes for even openoffice, or the kernel might
> not be so great even between major release eg FC4 to FC5. Some rpm might
> hardly change eg docs and tzdata, or the language packs for openoffice
> or kde etc.

The problem is that even if it is a small change, all the source gets
recompiled, so the resultant binaries could be different, and different
enough to cause large amounts of little changes.  This is because we
don't just spin the same binaries with say a new doc file or something
like that.  Little changes just from a recompile add up quickly.