xorg updates bugger GUI conf

glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Tue Apr 11 16:40:24 UTC 2006

glenn previously wrote:

 > on FC6 development

 > when I logged out after applying Xorg updates, the X server would not
 > restart due to a misconfiguration

 > My host is AMD 2000+
 > video is FX5200
 > monitor is KDS visual sensations

I re-installed FC5 from the distro and applied the FC5 updates.  All
checked good.

I then changed the repos to point to FC6 development support.  I ran yum
to install the latest kernel
    yum -y update kern\*
then rebooted to 2128 kernel.  All checked good.

I then used
   yum --exclude=xorg-x11\* update
and when I had rcvd the 300+ hdrs, yum determined I had a number of
dependency issues.

I thought xorg-x11-server-Xorg.i386 would be a safe module to try. But
after applying the update, and then logging out, I found the X server
for my Nvidia card was not functional.

I tried to remove the module
    rpm -e xorg-x11-server-Xorg.....
but many other modules depend on this module so that was not an option.

I then used the suggestion supplied by Paul (in a response to one of my
earlier posting), and located the original xorg-x11-server-Xorg....rpm
on my DVD distro disc. I then used
    rpm -Uvh --oldpackage xorg-x11.....rpm
and that returned my server to the older version.

I tried 'startx' and that worked.  So I am stuck at this level on FC6,
in that I must wait for an update to the Nvida driver.

Hope this helps others who may be seeing this test problem.

--
Glenn Simpson VE3DSP
Hamilton, Ont