firefox update to 1.5.0.2 possible?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 17:12:27 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Cam <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm just a bit confused about your comment about Firefox's internal
> update mechanism not being useful. I thought it would be tremendously
> useful to a typical user... but disabled by choice in the Fedora-built
> Firefox. I'm in the dark, enlighten me?

Disabled by choice because  updates directly from mozilla.org to the
firefox system binares are NOT going to work when applied to fedora
builds.  The updates mozilla.org offers only work when applied to
binaries produced by mozilla.org. You do a rebuild with any patches or
any different compiler options and you get a different binary...so
whatever binary diffs mozilla.org hands you can not be applied
correctly. I can not fathom how you can fail to understand the
inherent limitations of a binary diff feature that binary diffs are
only valid when applied to the specific binary they were generated
against.

If you dont want to use the fedora built binaries you are free to
uninstall the rpm and use the mozilla builds.  Have fun.

-jef