firefox update to 1.5.0.2 possible?

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 17:57:45 UTC 2006

Jeff

Let's recap. It sounds like Mozilla's updates are binary patches which
won't work on Fedora's builds. It sounds like it's not a worthwhile task
for Fedora to replicate Mozilla's efforts to provide updates...

> We are NOT talking about user's extentions. Let me re-iterate, the
> user-installed extentions updates should still work in fedora's
> firefox build. Stop dragging the non-issue of user installed
> extentions into this thread. You are only confusing yourself and other
> potential readers.

When I update from Mozilla, it checks compatability of installed third
party extensions. That's part of the value of the Mozilla update that
you miss out on if you use rpm updates. In a worst case scenario I might
use an rpm update and find that my 3rd party extensions have stopped
working.

I'll ask again, is there a way to provide a smooth transition from the
default Fedora Firefox to a Mozilla self updating one? The reason I'm
asking is because I imagine a significant number of users might want to
do that.

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--