"greeter crashing" and dbus out of phase?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 15:27:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 16:16 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> Newly updated to all the updates-testing RPMs and getting two errors on login.
>
> "The greeter appears to be crashing" appears.  /etc/sysconfig/desktop was empty,
> but inserting DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME did not cure the problem.  No apparent traces
> in dmesg or /var/log/messages.

> The power manager complains that it cannot start until dbus is active, but a ps
> examination shows dbus running.  I suspect that something is running power manager
> before dbus comes up.

D-Bus's session bus is started when X is started.  The system bus is
started when you start the machine.  ps might be showing you the system
bus.  Can you post the output of ps -aux | grep dbus?  If you don't
reboot on d-bus upgrades this can cause problems if there were ABI
changes.

I don't quite follow what is happening.  Is gdm (the greeter crashing)
or is your desktop crashing so fast and restarting gdm that gdm thinks
it is crashing?