Logwatch and rawhide

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 19:23:43 UTC 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 19:53, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Anne Wilson schrieb:
> >I have two FC4 boxes that send emails redirected to me, with the From:
> > field in the form logwatch at hostname.domain.tld.  I did not have to do
> > anything at all to config files for this to be correctly set.
> >
> >My rawhide installation by default sends the message as originating from
> >logwatch at localhost.localdomain.  Is this a bug, or intentional behaviour?
> >
> >I have forced the domain part to be replaced by putting an explicit line
> >in /etc/postfix/main.cf, but cannot get the hostname to be reported.
> > Clearly getting reports from several boxes without the identifier would
> > be less than useful.
> >
> >Anne
>
> Anne,

Hi, Alexander

> with switch to the new and current stable Postfix line 2.3 the
> previously applied hostname patch was removed:
>
> * Mo Jul 24 2006 Thomas Woerner <twoerner at redhat.com> 2:2.3.0-1
>
> - new version 2.3.0
> - dropped hostname-fqdn patch
>
> So this explains why you face a different behaviour.

I don't understand this.  Logwatch was the only originator I have seen that
added the hostname to the sender.  It was never on any of the other emails,
either to external or lan addresses.

> If you really want to send mail as originating from @david.lydgate.lan,
> then set in main.cf
>
> myorigin = david.lydgate.lan
>
> Test your change with "postconf myorigin".

I've set that, and it tested correctly.  However, running 'logwatch' still
results in the email coming from logwatch at lydgate.lan, not
logwatch at packbell.lydgate.lan.  (david is this box, not the offending one.)

If it has really been the intention to remove this, surely it's a big mistake?
Imagine seeing 100 logwatch reports, all coming, apparently, from your.lan.
How would you know which box has said what?

Anne