X problems with FC6t2

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Tue Aug 8 14:31:07 UTC 2006

On my second install: the first was an attempt to preserve /home from my
previous FC4 installation
System came up, but display was badly flawed
System is a P4 2.8 GHz with 1 GB ram tower with NVidia video
Display came up at 1650X1080 - native resolution of my monitor is 1600X1200,
but that wasn't an option. It offers 1280X1024, which looks OK - at the
resolution it came up as, the monitor couldn't compensate and left shifted
the whole picture an inch or so - all fonts looked terrible and the whole
picture was fuzzy and aliased - tried to reconfigure the display in multiple
ways, including using system-config-display from runlevel 3, but to no avail.
It says it can't detect the monitor or video - if I select the video button,
the list comes up and it highlights the NVidia card - accepting that returns
the "unkown" legend next to the video button; clicking on the monitor button
yields no response.

Re-installed - got a failure to install Grub (happenned both times) had to go
into rescue mode and install Grub - on this install, I started from scratch,
formatting my old /home
I got the same result as described above
Installed yumex
Found updates for system-config-display
Applied, and that offered me the 1600x1200 resolution which seemed to 'take'
Videocard was listed as 'unknown' - tried to set it, and it detected NVidia,
but selecting that just returned 'unknown' next to the video button
Found updates for x
Applied those
Now, the system can't start X
There are no mode lines in xorg.conf - one message noted that
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA