yum update blocked for now

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 8 22:38:00 UTC 2006

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 18:14 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>Yum still should be able to break into a mode where it would install the
>>packages that can safely be installed, instead of just dying with a
>>complaint. Since yum is the base for pup and pirut, the features would
>>increase the ease of there use.
>>
>>I tried apt before and it is not the answer. Improving yum functionality
>>seems a better solution.
>>
>>Regarding rawhide, I expect some dep problems. I would rather have a
>>better program upgrader and installer though to trek the wagon trails.
>>

> to be fair - you can do that now:
>
> #yum shell
>
>>update
>>transaction solve
>

> <error happens and it tells you what the problem is>
>
>>transaction reset
>>config exclude packagename
>>update
>>transaction solve
>>run
>

> etc etc etc.
>
> the yum shell code was written explicitly for this purpose.
>
> -sv

I tried this feature once and somehow installed a package which did not
have the deps resolved for it. I am sure the code is refined now, since
it was awhile back when I tried the shell feature.

The feature sounds great for allowing another front-end program to
utilize the shell features. I hope the GUI installer / updating
front-end programs can take advantage of this. They probably already do
to some degree. They are not just groughy user approved yet.

Thanks Seth, I'll try the feature again to see what success I have with
using it.

Jim

--
That must be wonderful: I don't understand it at all.
		-- Moliere