FC6-T2 (DVD) won't boot on Core 2 Duo setup

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Fri Aug 11 05:12:48 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I've put together a new system with and am having no luck installing FC5
or FC6-T2, both in text mode.

On FC5, I needed a driver for something or other, can't remember what,
but it didn't look encouraging.  I did manage to get the language and
keyboard layout screens.  Anyway, I went on to try FC6-T2.

On test-2, I get an immediate kernel panic.  It says:

DWARF2 unwinder stuck at kernel_thread_helper+0x5/0xb
Leftover inexact backtrace:
Code: ...
EIP: ...
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

(I can fill in the blanks if anybody would find it useful).

This is all very repeatable.

The system consists of:
Asus P5B mobo
Core2Duo 6400
2x1 GB OCZ DDR2 / 800 MHz
nVidia 7300 GS (PCI Express)
400GB Seagate SATA/300 attached to Intel ICH8 (either IDE or AHCI mode,
doesn't matter)

Any ideas?
--
Drew