fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Aug 13 23:15:16 UTC 2006

David L wrote:

> Hmm... the sha1sums check out for all 5 CDs.  And I used the
> same boot CD on another computer and it worked fine there.
> So my boot CD and hard drive iso images both check out.
> I've tried the installation 2x with the same results on that
> computer.  Unless somebody wants me to try to something
> else, I'll probably just wait for test3 and try again, but I think
> something other than a bad iso image on my disk is to blame.
>
> Cheers...
>
>         David
>
> sha1sum --check SHA1SUM
> FC-6-Test2-i386-rescuecd.iso: OK
> FC-6-Test2-i386-disc1.iso: OK
> FC-6-Test2-i386-disc2.iso: OK
> FC-6-Test2-i386-disc3.iso: OK
> FC-6-Test2-i386-disc4.iso: OK
> FC-6-Test2-i386-disc5.iso: OK

Two questions: Are you using the iso images directly from the hard drive
that you are using for the install? Have you tried a text mode install?

I did have problems with an Intel 815 card during test 2. The report
that I filed was closed as fixed now in rawhide. I plan to test in test
3 to see how the installation goes. It might pay off to wait for test
three if you exhausted all possibilities that you find out or someone
else thinks of.
The problem That I had with the Intel 815 card was related to it
interacting badly with the Matrox card that was also installed. It
identified the Intel and Matrox but tried to configure the Intel 815
which is set as primary using the Matrox information instead of Intel
information. A text install worked up to a point where an exception was
encountered. I later just used a script submitted by Dave Jones which
was posted to the list to update the system instead of using the install
media for test 2. It took awhile but eventually brought the system up to
rawhide. The computer works fine with the install after using that approach.

Sorry my ideas did not help you pinpoint the cause of the failure. Other
replies would probably lead to  another possibility.

Jim

--
Don't expect people to keep in step--it's hard enough just staying in line.