FC6 t2 rescue mode problems

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 16:03:51 UTC 2006

Hi! First, let me say "Thanks!" for trying out one of the test releases.
We really appreciate the help. You might want to check out the FC6t2
test status page - that's the main place we're trying to track what
works and what doesn't.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/FC6Test2TreeTesting

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 21:51 +0100, bloch at verdurin.com wrote:
> Owing to the problem listed in bug 202139, I am unable to boot my laptop
> with the current test2 installation.  I've been trying to use rescue
> mode to install a non-Xen kernel.

Ick. I'll add 202139 to the list.

> The first problem I noticed was that bringing up a network interface did
> not work - /usr/bin/ifconfig was not found.

This is a known bug (#201372). It's already fixed in rawhide, so this
will be gone in Test3.

> The second problem was that installing the kernel once chrooted into the
> installed system did not work - there was a complaint about not being
> able to find /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/Basenames, even though that file
> is present.

Weird. Have you filed a bug about this? I'll investigate it either way
but I'd like to have a bug number to track this problem.

> The third problem was that I tried to get around this by installing the
> kernel manually.  When I tried using mkinitrd, there was an error,
> complaining that /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions was not found.  I didn't
> really expect mkinitrd to work, but I doubt it should have this error.

Was the file present? Are you sure the chroot was OK?

-w