FC6 Test2 Experiences

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Aug 14 16:36:50 UTC 2006

Hi Phil,

Thanks a bunch for giving Test2 a whirl. I have a couple of comments for
you:

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 09:43 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:

> OK - now on to Test2:  FC6test2 Upgrade with NFS from DVD iso image - OK

Upgrade from Test1? Upgrades between test releases are not something we
spend a lot of time looking at, but it's good to know that it works.
Upgrading from FC5->FC6 is the really important thing.

> ATrpms modules for ipw3945 and ieee80211 load but lock up machine.

> Networking takes a LONG time to get DHCP address.  VC3 shows repeated
>    "INFO   : libdhcp_check"
>  and finally
>    "DHCPv6 eth0 - state: DHC_TIMEOUT"
>  then it works.

Yeah, it's trying to get a ipv6 address. I believe you can boot with
"noipv6" to skip this (or, if not using a kickstart, there's a dialog
that lets you turn off IPv6.. at least in text mode)

> Text install - OK except for long Ethernet delay and "Cryllic"
> characters in
> background - disconcerting but apparently innocuous (BZ
> #201457).Selected
> Development, Science/Engr and KDE packages in addition to default.

Added bug #201457 to test status page.

> Reboot OK except came up in text mode.  Configured firewall from
> text-mode and ran system-config-display.  The nv driver was selected by
> default but attempting to configure Hardware/Monitor Type does nothing
> (BZ #201600).  Video Card showed as Unknown even after selecting or
> resetting defauls. Only 800x600 and 640x480 available and USB mouse does
> not work - touchpad does. (BZ #202062).

The touchpad problem is probably related to bug #200347.

Also: the X server is supposed to autodetect pretty much all pointer
devices without needing anything in the config file, so you may be able
to work around this by removing any InputDevice sections in your
xorg.conf.

> Fonts look bad (rough) in KDE.  Tried turning on font aliasing in
> Control Panel to no avail.  In Evolution only the initial portion of the
> Subject lines is displayed.  Similar problems with menus but they look
> better after refresh by mousing over.  Have yet to try suggested fixes
> to change all font settings from "Sans" to "DejaVu LGC Sans" or "DejaVu
> LGC Sans Mono" for the fixed width font.

Someone mentioned that here, too. (Yes, there are people at Red Hat that
use KDE!) I couldn't find it in bugzilla. Would you mind submitting a
bug, if you haven't already?

Again, thanks for trying Test2. I added a couple of the things you
mentioned to the test status page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/FC6Test2TreeTesting

Keep an eye on that, and happy testing!

-w