fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 11:08:01 UTC 2006

David L wrote:

>> Two questions: Are you using the iso images directly from the hard
>> drive that you are using for the install? Have you tried a text mode
>> install?
>>
> I'm not sure what your first question means, but I think the answer is yes.
> My images are on hda3 in the tmp directory and that's what I specify
> after booting from a CD with the first disk image and using "linux
> askmethod".

Yes, I was asking whether you expanded the disk content or if you just
placed the iso images in a directory when installing.

Regarding the use of the /tmp directory for the install may or may not
be the problem. Maybe the permissions for the /tmp directory does not
get set correctly because of it being used at install time.

Some of the information regarding the X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't
get address for localhost:6001: error that you posted originally
regarded wrong permissions set for the /tmp directory being a possible
cause.

> I tried a text install today and it worked, but came up in text mode after
> the install and system-config-display failed with symptoms similar to
> the failure during the install.  I can send the X log to you if you want.
> The tail of it is pasted below.

Probably the best thing to do is to yum -y update "xorg*" your system to
get the latest upgrades for your system in order to see if current
rawhide has the fix applied.

If that does not fix the problem, you might attempt changing the driver
in your xorg.conf from i810 to vesa and attempting to start X. If the
vesa driver works and the i810 is causing problems, you might be able to
file a bug report against the i810 driver for xorg-x11.

> Thanks...
>
>        David
>
> (--) I810(0): Pre-allocated VideoRAM: 8060 kByte
> (==) I810(0): VideoRAM: 65536 kByte
> (==) I810(0): video overlay key set to 0x83e
> (**) I810(0): page flipping disabled
> (==) I810(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> Executing (ax == 0x5f01) BIOS call at i830_driver.c:617
> (II) I810(0): BIOS Build: 2919
> (==) I810(0): Device Presence: disabled.
> (II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
> (II) I810(0):     CRT
> (==) I810(0): Display is using Pipe A
> (--) I810(0): Maximum frambuffer space: 65368 kByte
> (--) I810(0): Maximum space available for video modes: 8000 kByte
> (II) I810(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
> (II) I810(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
> (II) I810(0): Printing probed modes for pipe 0
>
> Fatal server error:
> No modes found on either pipe

I cannot detect the problem here. It does seem to me that the problem is
caused with the monitor that you are using. I don't recall output like
above in any log that I viewed on any system that I use(d)

I'll try to grab the xorg.conf file from the working system that I have
with an 82865G for comparison. My display section is wrong for my
monitor but still works. The file was created before all of the
minimalistic content that is now being used for this conf file on
present development versions. Maybe something important was removed from
the file.

Jim

--
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward,
then we are a sorry lot indeed."