Suggestions for rescue CD

Sherwood Botsford sbotsford at sjsa.ab.ca
Wed Aug 23 21:02:27 UTC 2006

***
On more occasions than not, grub has not installed correctly. I
have had to boot the rescue CD. The rescue CD does not set any
value for "MANPATH" which means that until you do so manually,
you cannot read the man pages.  This is a nuisance.

I could see some merit in having the rescue CD boot a live
system. Even with a twm environment, reading "info grub" in one
window while running "vi /etc/grub.conf" in another would be very
convenient.

Because X is not always practical, one of the dialogs for the
rescue disk should be:  Set up in terminal mode, or live CD mode.