Archive RPMS on disk during installation.

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Wed Aug 23 21:52:39 UTC 2006

Sherwood Botsford wrote:
> I never get it right the first time.  Since computers now come with
> large disks, it would be reasonable to archive the rpms as the CD's
> are read.  (Perhaps /usr/share/rpms/FC6-install)
>
> By doing this, later changes to the software wouldn't require internet
> access or shuffling CD's.
>
> Yes this can be done after the fact, and indeed, that is what I
> usually do, but this is a simple thing, that would help make managment
> of FC easier for newbies.

It's an interesting idea.... but I really do not see the value in it.
:-(  I think FC management is pretty easy for newbies now... assuming it
installs on their box OK.... then "yum update" pretty much takes care of
things from then on.

I do my initial install from DVD, avoiding the "CD shuffle". If I didn't
have the DVD burner, I'd probably just keep the DVD ISO image in a
directory and install from there... again, no physical CDs.

(I've never done that, only read that it's not difficult to do)

Returning to your idea.... are you also suggesting an enhancement to yum
so when updates are applied, the source is also updated? And then if a
package is removed, remove the corresponding source too?

I'd turn that off if I could.... I have other uses for my large disk.
:-) (Currently looking at building a box with 1.5-2.0 TB RAID 5 storage
for my music collection (FLAC/wav) and photos.... I hope to have it
ready for the release of FC6. We'll see... I've got some reading to do.
:-) )