Dual boot + hibernate

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 24 12:26:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 15:56 -0400, Mike Leahy wrote:
> I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to allow dual boot after
> hibernating.  I'm currently using FC6T2 on a dual boot with WinXP, and
> it's working pretty well overall.  However, I've noticed that if I
> hibernate (using the pm-hibernate command), when I reboot I no longer
> get the Grub interface that allows me to select an operating system.  I
> have no problem hibernating from windows and booting into linux though.
>   Is this an intentional feature?  Is there a way to boot into the WinXP
> OS anyway?

Yes, it's an intentional feature. I asked this a month ago and was told
what's "best" for me:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-July/msg00589.html

In fairness, this is done because if you upgrade your kernel and
hibernate, GRUB will use the new kernel by default which would almost
certainly fail to start post-hibernate, thus losing any unsaved work.

So, with the caveat that you should not hibernate after a kernel update:

> So to accomplish this you now need to move the file 01grub out
> of /etc/pm/hooks (or just comment the lines of course).

Is hibernate working for you with the latest packages? It stopped
working for me about four weeks ago...