Adding /etc/mono/config.d

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 14:56:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 13:43 +0100, PFJ wrote:
> > > EEEEW!  So now we're going to have config files littered all
> > > across %{_libdir}?  That's absolutely horrid.  And I suppose upstream doesn't
> > > care and will not change this at all to be, you know, SANE?
> >
> > AFAICT, they're not _really_ config files.
>
> They are and they aren't. In mono terms, they are, in the sane world we
> live in, they're not. However, we're in the mono world here...

Sure.  I'm used to wacky lands at this point :-)

> > A config file is something
> > that a person might be expected to change.  Instead, these are more like
> > data files which tell mono how to do it's native dll importing by
> > mapping a generic name (say libc) to an actual shared library name that
> > exists on the system (libc.so.6)
>
> So they're more like mapping files. Looking at the contents of say
> php.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d it can be argued that the files are human
> changable, but how many people are going to change them? Okay, it's 6 or
> 1 here, but I'd still contend that conf.d is a saner place than
> splattered around the gac.

I don't really see them as being that similar....

> > Also, it's hardly littered across the filesystem -- they end up
> > under /usr/lib/mono/gac/<package>/<version> which seems sane as well
>
> It does. Question goes like this. I have a package waiting to go into
> extras (sdldotnet) which requires that the %{_sysconfdir}/mono/config
> file is altered. The reason is that the dlls in the gac directories are
> fine as they stand, but need mapping onto "real" SDL files (as the
> package is really a wrapper for SDL and OpenGL).

Why does it require modifying /etc/mono/config itself, though?  The bits
in /etc/mono/config could just as well be in something
like /usr/lib/mono/gac/mono-core/version and it wouldn't matter... it
really sounds like the sdldotnet stuff is what's not correct here.[1]

> There are quite a few mono apps like this that I'm looking to get into
> Extras over the next couple of months.

Apps or libraries/bindings?

Jeremy

[1] And some quick summary looking beyond what is shipped in Core shows
the way that the packages in Core is considered the "newer, mo-bettah"
way and that editing /etc/mono/config isn't recommended anymore