Adding /etc/mono/config.d

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 07:17:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 13:43 +0100, PFJ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > EEEEW!  So now we're going to have config files littered all
> > > across %{_libdir}?  That's absolutely horrid.  And I suppose upstream doesn't
> > > care and will not change this at all to be, you know, SANE?
> >
> > AFAICT, they're not _really_ config files.
>
> They are and they aren't. In mono terms, they are, in the sane world we
> live in, they're not. However, we're in the mono world here...

Why are we arguing about stupid definitions about what a config file is.
I hate this knee-jerk reaction everyone has about mono, expecting
everything to be horribly broken (and publically complaining about it)
without even looking at it.

Its very clear that the .dll.config file is something tightly tied to
the dll in question and not something a user would touch. Putting them
somewhere else would give you nothing but stupuid crap in /etc and
problems with similarly named dlls in different prefixes.

> > Also, it's hardly littered across the filesystem -- they end up
> > under /usr/lib/mono/gac/<package>/<version> which seems sane as well
>
> It does. Question goes like this. I have a package waiting to go into
> extras (sdldotnet) which requires that the %{_sysconfdir}/mono/config
> file is altered. The reason is that the dlls in the gac directories are
> fine as they stand, but need mapping onto "real" SDL files (as the
> package is really a wrapper for SDL and OpenGL).

This package seems broken. Why can it not just set up the SDL and OpenGL
mapping in sdldotnet.dll.config.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an underprivileged devious inventor on the edge. She's a provocative
mutant doctor fleeing from a Satanic cult. They fight crime!