YUM-Fun with kernel-headers

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sat Aug 26 20:14:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 15:05 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 09:04 +0200, R.M.Albrecht wrote:
>
> > a circular dependency ? kernel-headers wants to replace
> > glibc-kernheaders and vice versa.
>
> After your update, have you rebooted into your new kernel (do you have a
> new kernel?) and maybe you have too many kernels still installed and
> need to remove the last few? (as in, there is a lower versioned kernel
> installed that is causing your header rpm to want to be replaced again).
>
> Just saying that could be part of the reason, depending on if you
> updated originally from a previous Fedora Core version from before.

no, the problem has nothing to do with what kernel you're running.

pkg_y says:
  I obsolete pkg_x

pkg_x says:
  I obsolete pkg_y

Yum looks through on each update run and says:
  I have pkg_y, does anything obsolete it?
  at which point pkg_x is installed to obsolete pkg_y

Then the next time yum update is run it says:
  I have pkg_x, does anything obsolete it?
  at which point pkg_y is installed to obsolete pkg_x

And over and over and over again.

Does that make explanation clear it up?

-sv