Why did fbdev replace radeon in xorg.conf?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Aug 28 02:16:41 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel (clydekunkel7734 at cox.net) said:
>> Wow, did a rawhide update today catching up two days worth and on reboot
>> got a double blurred screen at what looked like 640x320 resolution.  On
>> an alternate terminal looked at xorg.conf and saw that in the device
>> section that radeon had been replaced by fbdev.  Fixed and restarted X
>> and all was well.
>>
>> What changed this?  Will file a bz, but against what?  There was no
>> mention of an xorg.conf change during the update and a review of the
>> yum.log doesn't show anything except several mesa component updates and
>> compiz update.  Would one of those change xorg.conf?
>
> Start with kudzu, we can go from there. What arch, hardware, etc?
>
> Bill

Problem confirmed on a second system with radeon graphics card.

Both x86, both ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobos with Radeon 9200 cards in AGP
slot.  Second system has two radeon cards, AGP and PCI, 9200s. Both are
rawhide updated thru today.

I believe kudzu could be the culprit since I watched the second system
upgrade and checked xorg.conf after the upgrade and **before** rebooting
and it had **not** been changed.  After reboot on second system, X
wouldn't start at all but at least got a message saying so which allowed
root logon and found fbdev in the Device section of xorg.conf and the
original xorg.conf saved as xorg.conf.backup.  Fixed and rebooted, came
up fine this time.

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)