Why did fbdev replace radeon in xorg.conf?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Aug 28 03:04:51 UTC 2006

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Clyde E. Kunkel (clydekunkel7734 at cox.net) said:

<snip>

>> Start with kudzu, we can go from there. What arch, hardware, etc?
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Problem confirmed on a second system with radeon graphics card.
>
> Both x86, both ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobos with Radeon 9200 cards in AGP
> slot.  Second system has two radeon cards, AGP and PCI, 9200s. Both are
> rawhide updated thru today.
>
> I believe kudzu could be the culprit since I watched the second system

<snip>

Ok, on system with two radeon cards replaced kudzu with an older
version, rebooted, then yum update kudzu to 1.2.47-1.  Checked
xorg.conf, fine.  Reboot, saw appended to Checking new hardware init msg
something like: Freeing option 0x9678cd8.

At logon time, msgs about couldn't start x server, entered root password
then msgs about trying cards 0 thru 3, then msg about trying an
alternative configuration and X server did start with S-C-D gui asking
for a screen resolution.  Gave it 1280x1024 (ususal that I use) and got
logon screen at strange resolution which turned out to be 2048x1536.
Checked xorg.conf and it was a minimalist one, but it did id the
graphics card as radeon and not fbdev.  Also, there was an
xorg.conf.backup created with fbdev as the driver.  Deleted this
xorg.conf and .backup and copied over xorg.conf I saved and all is well.
  Reboot with new kudzu was ok.

Shall I enter a bz for kudzu?

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)