Simple instructions for renaming drives

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 21 03:51:13 UTC 2006

sean wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm going to be rebooting my box shortly to the latest (and greatest)
>> rawhide kernel. Last time I did this, I was met with errors about drives
>> not being found.
>>
>> Having looked through the -test list, I find this is down to the way the
>> kernel is behaving and that I need to rename my drives.
>>
>> Currently, I have a pile of /dev/hdX's in my fstab file. Do I just
>> rename these as /dev/sdX and what do I need to do in my grub file to get
>> things to work?
>>
>> TTFN
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Yes, except for cd/dvd's. rename srX.
>
> Or you can mess around with Label= stuff. I don't.
>
> sean

I use labels but still had problems until mkinitrd was fixed for
handling labels. My awkwardness is getting used to using
mount /dev/sdx instead of /dev/hdx.

If you use device names and ever boot into an fc6 kernel or earlier than
that kernel, it will fail as it does for you now with trying to get fc7
kernels to boot.

I want to see if my lvm contained swap volume works with the fc6 but not
the fc7 kernel. With labels, it is safe to boot either kernel version.

Anyway, for the device names, changing the /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx should
work for you. If you have device entries in grub.conf referencing hdx
devices, they will need revised also to sdx.

--
Feel free to contact me (flames about my english and the useless of this
driver will be redirected to /dev/null, oh no, it's full...).