[SECURITY] Fedora Core 5 Test Update: openldap-2.3.30-1.fc5

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Dec 1 17:40:37 UTC 2006

JF> rpm are broken, you will need to use extra care when installing
JF> this update.

I just want to acknowledge this.  I applied this update to one of my
slave servers and indeed it did essentially wipe out the entire
database.  It did seem to save the old contents of /var/lib/ldap in
/var/lib/ldap/rpmorig, so all is not lost.  But this is surely not the
kind thing you want to have rolling out automatically in the middle of
the night.

JF> Before you begin the upgrade, you should make a copy of all the
JF> files in your /var/lib/ldap directory.  After the upgrade, you
JF> should clear out any files left in that directory by the upgrade
JF> process, and restore your original files.

Is there something that prevents the package from just doing that?

 - J<