renaming /dev/hda to ./dev/sda

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue Dec 19 20:14:13 UTC 2006

tir, 19 12 2006 kl. 11:26 -0800, skrev Per Bothner:
> I read that FC7 will use a new libata, which will cause /dev/hdX
> to be renamed to /dev/sdX, which will cause various things,
> including grub (and old documentation) to break.
>
> So why we are we renaming /dev/hdX to the much-less-natural /dev/sdX
> in the first place?  If we're now unifying PATA and SATA, wouldn't
> it make more sense to rename sdX to hdX insted?  I know what "hd"
> stands for - what does "sd" stand for?  Is this going to be another
> one of those "it's called that for obscure historical reasons"
> Unix things?

Historically I think it was after SCSI device but today it might be more
apt to call it storage device. I personally feel that this definition
compasses what those devices are today than Hard Drive which is what hd
conjures up.

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule s the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”