renaming /dev/hda to ./dev/sda

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Tue Dec 19 20:32:51 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Well, "we" I suppose is the kernel folks; this isn't exactly a Fedora
> decision and it isn't really new.

It's new for users - people who don't build their own kernels (assuming
they're using PATA disks).

> libata uses at least the upper layers of the SCSI subsystem, so the
> drives show up as SCSI devices: "sd".  Not much different from the USB
> storage system.

Of course naming it sd because it "uses at least the upper layers of the
SCSI subsystem" is something that could only make sense to a kernel
hacker ...

> I guess you could think of "sd" an acronym for
> Storage Device or something.

I think that is actually a reasonable name.  Can we make it official?
--
	--Per Bothner