rawhide report: 20061219 changes

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 20 17:52:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 12:30, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Well it looks like it is going to be the people doing the respins. I have
> tried some of this and even reported some bugs I found while testing
> things. I have also learned that if you use the versions of anaconda and
> its dependencies that were originally delivered for FC6, respinning DVDs
> seems to work. I didn't get CD version to work quite right, but I did get
> it working well enough, that I could use the first CD to do an http install
> on a machine that couldn't read DVD+RWs.

Filing bugs is great, but who's going to FIX the bugs?  That's the question.
For the most part, Fedora developers are not interested in bugs that only
occur at install time, but otherwise don't show up if a package is upgraded
from the Gold version.

> Considering that I only run Fedora on 3 machines, I spent a lot more time
> doing respin attempts for FC6 than was worth it from a testing perspective.
> But I did it primarily as a learning experience. However, if I end up with
> time to do some FC7 testing when it gets close to release, this will still
> be useful, as I can test installing with the updated packages after say,
> FC7test3 has been built.

Logic error.  Whats in FC6 updates != whats in rawhide which will be used for
FC7 test spins.  Often times things are completely different.  Bugs that
happen in an FC6+updates install are not worth filing against F7 unless it
actually happens with the F7 install.

> On sort of a related note, is the Pungi project going to just support doing
> respins on the original package set, rather than being able to support
> respins using updated packages?

Pungi spins with the latest packages it finds in the repos you provide.  Its
all a matter of what repos you provide.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora