Are My RPM/Yum Seg-Faults Due to the Kernel FIle Corruption?

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Sun Dec 24 16:16:53 UTC 2006

Is the file corruption problem currently being discussed on LKML related
to the RPM/Yum seg-faults I occasionally on my 300 MHz, PII, notebook
(with only 256 MB of RAM)?

I usually see the seg-faults while glibc-common is being updated during a
large update (within the first 2 or 3 files of 30+ file update).  If I
update glibc* first, that, and the following updated of the remainder
always works.  If glibc has a lot of dependency info, I can see the
/var/lib/rpm/__db.00* databases taking a hit and requiring manual
deletion to restart.

If this is true, this bug might have started before FC6 was released, but
only gets hit when memory runs low.

	-Paul