Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Wed Feb 1 02:31:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 05:23:20PM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:
> The most aggrevating example, though, is when I start ANY application
> from gnome-terminal (emacs, amarok, firefox, whatever).  I now have to
> click on the application window to give it focus.  I hate this!  I,
> personally, think it is brain-dead to not give focus to applications
> when they start (with the exception of dialogs which should be "system
> modal" in Windows parlance).

What if you start something in the background in your shell? GNOME has
no way to know whether you just typed "emacs" or "emacs &". In the
latter case you don't necessarily want the focus transferred to Emacs.

Anyway, do you do anything with gnome-terminal or any other program
after you start the application, but before its window actually opens?
Metacity's focus-stealing prevention is supposed to kick in only if you
interact with anything else after you started the application - the new
window then will not grab the focus. It's not supposed to be
unconditional, unless there's a bug that ought to be reported. What
happens if you enter "emacs" and keep your hands away from the mouse and
the keyboard?

--
Rudi