Base and Core group renaming ?

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 3 11:05:35 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 10:38 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
>

>>Once upon a time, Gawain Lynch <gawain.lynch at bigpond.com> said:
>>

>>>How about moving rootfiles to Core then?
>>>

>>What is supposed to be the difference between Core and Base?
>>

>Core is the absolute minimal subset.  You'll get to a login prompt with
>a shell and a root password.  Base is a far more reasonable minimal
>subset that will even let you install packages afterwards ;-)
>
>Jeremy

I mentioned this elsewhere, but perhaps a name change from "core" should
be made to avoid confusion with "Fedora Core". My suggestion was "base
operating sytem", maybe "minimal operating system", or even "minimal
boot environment" :)
And "base" could become "minimal installer/developer environment"...
still thinking... but the idea to suggest that it isn't for normal users ;)
DaveT.