KDE update - no testing period?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Feb 6 02:36:25 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:
> The joys of a rolling beta:-)
>
> If you don't like the way Fedora works, try RHEL or its clones such as
> Centos, WBEL, or if you still want the latest technology try
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu with releases each October and April with the latest,
> and has few if any feature changes within the support life.
>
> Read the docs closely, like FC they're not for everyone.

This has got to be my single biggest pet peeve about Fedora right now.
Whenever discussion of why a procedure or policy is the way it is, we
get one of two conflicting answers.  Either, it's because things have to
be as easy as possible for Grandma to be able to sit down and start
using Fedora, *or* Fedora is a fast-moving collection of bleeding edge
software, so it might break... and if you can't deal with that, go use
Ubuntu.

While I suppose the case could be made that those two goals don't
absolutely have to conflict, it does seem rather pointless to try to
serve both masters.  If Fedora releases are never "stable" and always
carry a warning label, why bother designing them to be accessible to the
common end user?  A lot of times it really feels like nobody knows who
is supposed to be using this distribution.

I use FC on my desktop/laptop because I believe it has made me better at
administering my RHEL-based servers, and because of the broad support by
3rd party packagers (I can't use RHEL on my desktop... it's just too far
behind to be feasible most of the time).  I nearly took everyone's
advice and switched to Ubuntu a few months ago because things just
generally seemed to work better there, even in development.  However, I
quickly realized just how far I'd be drifting from RHEL if I stayed
there, so instead I decided to come back to FC for a while and see if I
could help improve the distro that I've grown so accustomed to over the
years.  Unfortunately, as I've been on the devel list, there really
seems to be a lack of focus or direction in the project, and even the
Red hat guys seem to contradict each other half the time.

So, for now it just seems to be a lot of people working on whatever
projects they "own" until the buzzer sounds for a test release.  Then
after a few releases, things are finally declared stable and a release
is made.  After which, everything continues to be updated with no
apparent limits other than "try not to break too much stuff at once."

My goal is not to bash the project here.  I'm just saying that I for one
am totally lost as to what direction the project is headed in, and based
on the amount of back and forth conversation on this list, it seems a
lot of people are in the same boat.  Is there some vast repository of
design goal and policy documents that I'm missing somewhere?