CDs mount to volume name

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Feb 8 18:46:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:03:41AM +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 10:49 +0100, Karsten Fischer wrote:
>
> > Why should you? I am pretty comfortable with that right now; but then I
> > also use a Mac, where this kind of mounting seems to be quite normal and
> > does not cause trouble. Anyway, a mount with the name like "Doom 4 for
> > Linux Disk 2 of 2" sounds much more descriptive than "cdrom", now does
> > it?
> > ;)
>
> Except when you want to use command line.

Or, for example, when you want to play a CD with some sound files
and your GUI player expects to find these data in some consistent
location.

What did you gain from a more "descriptive" mount point name (there
was already on a desktop a label with a volume name) over a serious
PITA if you are not welded to a mouse?  OTOH if you are welded then
why do you care about a mount point name at all?

   Michal