Shutting Beagle et. al. up

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 13 12:51:34 UTC 2006

David D. Hagood wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of FC5T2 and now I keep getting mails from
> cron about the output from Beagle running against the log files.
>
> I'd like to ask developers to follow the mantra of "Don't bother root
> with unimportant stuff" - a process should NOT mail root about routine
> stuff, otherwise root gets inundated with so many messages the
> important ones get lost in the noise.

Have you updated your system after installing FC5test2?. If you are
still getting messages after updates file a bug report upstream in
http://bugzilla.gnome.org.

> I couldn't find any other way to shut beagle up than redirecting the
> cron job's output to /dev/null - which means now that if it really
> DOES have something to tell me I will not see it.
>
> It would be really nice if there were a nice simple GUI for managing
> the messages to root - something that could allow programs to plug in
> to it and be configured, so that root could tell logwatch, beagle, and
> so on "don't bother me about these things - tell me when something
> IMPORTANT happens."

Its the other way around usually. Programs plug into sysklogd and
sysklogd is configurable. Logwatch  messages are usually more important
to root than beagle is. You might want to look at logwatch man page for
the level of details if you want from it. If you need a GUI logviewer
take a look at gnome-system-log in gnome-utils package.
system-config-logviewer from FC3 still works if someone is interested in
maintaining it in Fedora Extras.

--
Rahul