FC5 boot annoyance!

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:44:17 UTC 2006

Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:27:33AM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>> I just found out that if /etc/fstab lists a partition to mount, and that
>> device/partition isn't found, it will drop into filesystem repair.  Just
>> to make it even more annoying, I can't fix /etc/fstab, because / is
>> mounted ro, and mount -o remount,rw / doesn't work either.
>
> mount -n -o remount,rw /
> should work though.
>
> Jakub

Thanks.  Now that you mention it, I remember this is not the first time I
encountered this.  It happens just infrequently enough for me to forget.

That's why I'd like to suggest, that the message which drops you into the
shell, could mention this.

Also, the error message from mount is not helpful.  It could suggest "maybe
you need -n?", or something to that effect.  That would have given me a
clue.