Why is xscreensaver removed in favor of gnome-screensaver

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 17 20:05:29 UTC 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> It's a bigger issue of empowering users.  It is a pattern of limiting
> user control in favor of developer control.  It is the dumbing down
> of the UI to prevent users "running with scissors."  Guess what,
> most Linux users know how to use scissors safely.  Sure, I want
> Linux to succeed in the world of computer Newbies, but just give
> me the option to enable more advanced settings and I will be
> perfectly happy.

It's too bad that GNOME is the only desktop environment out there, and
thus must suit everyone. That's exactly the reason why they have been
slapped with monopoly charges -- for repeatedly taking away choice from
their users who have no alternatives to turn to. At least they have been
good about full refunds, otherwise it would be nothing short of
racketeering.

> Not that it really matters for the sake of argument, but Linus Torvalds
> has similar concerns about Gnome.  He a pretty reasonable guy, fwiw.

Linus is an excellent kernel developer, but not god. He's not even pope.
His opinions on things other than kernel development, while welcomed,
carry exactly as much weight as anyone else's.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
McGill University WSG

Mal: "Can I come in?"
Inara: "No."
Mal: "See, that's why I usually don't ask."
				--Episode #6, "Our Mrs Reynolds"