HAL problems with floppy drives

William Shotts bshotts at panix.com
Sun Feb 19 17:59:46 UTC 2006

> well then... the question is.. is this broken behavior or a feature?
> since ext3 supports multiuser permissions it could be delibrate
> detection on bootup.. or it could be an oversight since the common
> scenario is vfat for per-user attached storage.
> Seems like a bug to me.
>
> -jef

I agree.  Seems like an oversight.

I notice also that if the volume is present at boot time, it is given a
different mount point name (some variation on "disk") than when it is
hot-plugged (volume name).  While this volume name/mount point issue has
been discussed extensively on this list, there are a few things I would
like to say about it.

First, as a CLI user, the use of volume names for mount points is clearly
annoying but I'll live with whatever decision is made.

However, I am concerned that the volume name scheme is not consistently
applied (see above) and perhaps more importantly, it appears contrary to
the FHS.  It is my belief that, all things being equal, the decision
should lean towards standards.

My 2 cents.