FC5t3 issues with nv6800GS and NVRAID

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:53:02 UTC 2006

I tried to install FC5t3 but graphical install had issues, and seeing as
my FC4 dvd also seems to have these issues I believe it is because of
the nvidia 6800GS pci-express video card I recently upgraded to, since
installing FC5t2 successfully (but not being able to boot it; that is
the other issue).
So I installed in text mode, though it was having problems displaying
the text (everything would move one character to the right when
selected, leaving characters all over the place, so it just was
extremely hard to figure out what i was doing). I installed successfully
to NVRAID 0 as with FC5t2, but as it was in such a confusing mode I
couldn't tell how the bootloader was attempted to be installed. I
believe I told it to install to the correct drive, though. However, upon
boot, it didn't even get as far as FC5t2; it just comes up with GRUB
Geom Error. Trying to install grub from rescue mode also results in
failure; setting it up goes smoothly but upon the setup command, it
can't find the appropriate partition for some reason; it gets all the
way to "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,1)/grub/stage2
/grub/grub.conf" and fails, Error 22: No such partition. Now I'm going
to have to install FC5t2 or FC4 so I can boot back into windows and
continue using this computer for a while.
-Dan