Announcing Fedora Core 5 Test 3

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 18:06:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 03:00 +0900, Kazunari Hirano wrote:
> Can you tell me more about this feature?
> I thought there has been a single SRPM for every arch.
> Please correct me if I am wrong ;)
> Thanks,
> khirano

Yes, there is a single srpm that will generate binary rpms for each
arch.  However not every arch gets every package, and some packages are
specific to just one arch.  s390-utils and the like.  This would mean
that given the binary packages in a given arch, the source package set
could vary between each arch.  In the past, the specific source package
set was spun into isos for each arch creating slightly different iso
sets for each arch and a lot of wasted space.  Now all the srpms used
for any arch are put in a single directory, and that directory is used
to spin a single set of source isos.  Much less wasted space and much
easier to bypass the sources when you are downloading or mirroring.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora